Sunday, August 29, 2004

WISDOM AND MATURITY

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"I think age is a very high price to pay for maturity." - Tom Stoppard (1937-)

Maturity and wisdom, the two go hand in hand and recently I have been reflecting on how much I have grown as a person and how much I need to grow.

For example, when I was 20 years old, I usually started out looking for a reason to do something, to spend money, to date someone or to go someplace. Now at 27, I find myself first looking for reasons why I shouldn't. Will it benefit me? Can I afford this? Is she any good for me? Is that a safe place to go?

I have also learned to better manage my finances. Right now, I have my second credit card. The first one I ran up to the high heavens (well not that high-not compared to others). I spent most of the money on things I thought I needed (i.e. food and other essentials).

It took that first credit card to teach me the lesson that it is often better to do without than to create debt that you cannot pay back.

Back to relationships and this includes friendships. The older I get, the less of me I expose early on and the less I let my other guards down. Now don't get me wrong, I am outgoing and I love people. I am just not quick to trust people.

Maybe it is because I have been burnt before or maybe it is because I really value deep quality relationships over shallow quantities of them.

No doubt both.

I once read in a Bazooka Bubblegum fortune,
"One true friend is better than 1,000 false admirers."

So true... so true.

- Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home